Are you looking for a fun reading challenge to participate in this year? The North Little Rock Public Library system has got you covered with their “Reading through the Decades” challenge! The challenge encourages readers to explore literature from different eras by reading books that were published or set in a specific decade.
Each month features a different decade, starting with the 1900s in January and ending with the present day in December. After reading a book from the corresponding decade, readers can fill out an entry form at either location or on the library’s website to be entered into a prize drawing. One lucky winner will receive a Book Lovers Gift Bag filled with goodies to enhance their reading experience.
For the month of May, the featured decade is the 1940s, and the library has selected several fantastic books for readers to choose from. Whether you’re a history buff, a fiction lover, or just looking to try something new, there’s a book on this list for you. So without further ado, let’s dive into the May Reading through the Decades Challenge book recommendations!
To help you get started, we’ve compiled a list of books that we’re featuring for this month’s challenge:
- All The Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy – Published in 1992, this book is set in the 1940s and tells the story of two young men who embark on a journey to Mexico in search of adventure and meaning.
- The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis – Originally published in 1950, this classic children’s book is set in England during World War II and follows the adventures of four siblings who discover a magical world inside a wardrobe.
- Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford – Published in 2009, this book is set in the 1940s and tells the story of a Chinese-American boy who falls in love with a Japanese-American girl during the Japanese internment.
- Sisters in Arms by Kaia Alderson – Published in 2020, this historical fiction novel is set during World War II and follows the lives of three women who join the Women’s Army Corps to fight for their country.
- Mudbound by Hillary Jordan – Published in 2008, this book is set in the Mississippi Delta in the 1940s and tells the story of two families – one black, one white – whose lives become intertwined in the aftermath of World War II.
Find more recommendations on display at both libraries!
Once you’ve finished reading your book, be sure to fill out an entry form at either location or at this form to be entered into a prize drawing. One lucky reader will win a Book Lovers Gift Bag, filled with many items to make your reading time spectacular.
So what are you waiting for? Pick up a book from the 1940s and join us on this month’s reading adventure!